· ¾ yard of 72” wide felt for background (cut into two 20” x 30” rectangles)
· felt sheets in various colors
· 1/2 yard of 2” wide hook and loop fastener (Velcro)
· embroidery floss in various colors
· thread (if using sewing machine)
· ½” wooden dowel (cut to 20 ½” long)
· 2 dowel end caps (optional)
· string, ribbon, or twine for hanging
· embroidery needle
· sewing scissors
· rotary cutter, cutting mat, and long ruler (optional but very helpful)
1. For each figure, cut two of the overall figure in the main color felt.
2. Cut out the smaller pieces and hand stitch them onto the top layer using 3 strands of embroidery floss and running stitch.
3. Embroider details onto top layer of felt. All of the eyes are done using a french knot.
4. Cut soft side of Velcro into circles and sew onto back of bottom layer of each felt figure.
5. Sew the bottom layer and the top layer of each figure together.
6. Cut rough side of Velcro into star shapes (you can just cut circles if you prefer)
7. Sew numbers 1 - 24 onto 2 ½” x 2 ½” square pockets
8. Cut main background color of felt into two 20” x 30” rectangles
9. Arrange stable and pockets onto one of the 20” x 30” background pieces, pin and sew.
10. Arrange rough side of Velcro onto the same layer of background felt and sew.
11. Pin top and bottom layer of background felt (wrong sides together), pin and stitch all but the top of the calendar closed.
12. Cut 4 2” x 6” pieces of felt for hanging loops.
13. Fold strips in half and slide 1” into top of calendar evenly spaced apart. Pin and sew top of calendar shut, going over each of the felt hanging loops to secure.
14. Slide loops onto dowel and hang with string.
Now get to work!
Please check out my other countdown calendars here.
Like what you see? Don't miss a post, click here to subscribe!